Friday, May 21, 2010

For Don Sippel's Family



Last week was Teacher Appreciation Week at WLA. Zak Stowe put together a very nice photo montage tribute of the 09-10 Music Department which was shown in chapel last Tuesday. This is not that video.

This video is from the 2007-2008 school year. Dion Malenke put this one together. I post it today because Don Sippel, the father of a former Traveling Choir student, Kelly Sippel, was called home to heaven last night. The WLA Traveling Choir has been asked to sing Dan Forrest's "The King of Love, My Shepherd Is" at Don's Christian funeral. The funeral will be Monday, May 24, 2010 at 11 AM at St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Fond du Lac, WI. I do not know any other funeral arrangements at this time.

After finding out this morning that Kelly asked for TC to sing "The King of Love", I pulled it out for TC to rehearse, which they did with more strength and conviction than I could have under the circumstances. It's always hard to hear that a family member of a former student has passed away, especially when it is a sudden, unexpected death. But it's also a truly humbling thing to be asked to sing for their funeral, especially when it is music that TC has sung in past.

I invite former Traveling Choir students who know this piece of music to sing with us at the funeral on Monday. We have a rehearsal tentatively planned for 10 AM in the church sanctuary at St. Peter's, FDL. I'll post more information here or on my Facebook and Twitter accounts as I know more.

The King of Love My Shepherd Is
By: Henry W. Baker

The King of love my shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am his
And he is mine forever.
Where streams of living water flow,
My ransomed soul he leadeth
And, where the verdant pastures grow,
With food celestial feedeth.
Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
But yet in love he sought me
And on his shoulder gently laid
And home rejoicing brought me.
And so through all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never.
Good Shepherd, may I sing thy praise
Within thy house forever.

1 comment:

  1. I just got a phone call from Kelly Sippel. The family would also like "In Christ Alone" to be sung in addition to "The King of Love". Everything else is still a go: 10 AM rehearsal at St. Peter's, FDL on Monday, May 24, 2010. Visitation at church from 9:30 - 11. Funeral at 11.

    ReplyDelete