1. Sing “This Is My Beloved Son” by Pepper Choplin (Streaming: mp3, Real Audio, Download mp3s: Full performance, Accompaniment only)
The music is available in the Choir Room. Students must prepare to sing the entire song in the voice part that they are auditioning for. Applicants will be judged according to the Wisconsin State Music Association vocal solo rubric in the following areas:
- Tone--the shape of the vowel and the beauty of the sound
- Intonation--staying on the right pitch, neither sharp nor flat
- Accuracy--singing the correct notes and rhythms
- Interpretation--singing musically and expressively
- Technique--breathing at logical spots and showing clear and clean diction
Students will hear short melodic phrases played at the piano and sing them back on “La” to test their aural memory
3. Sightreading Exercises
Students will sing a series of short graded examples to determine their sightreading ability.
4. Range Vocalization
The student will sing scales on “AH” to the top and bottom of their range.